We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Electrical Engineer with a strong focus on power systems and expertise in grounding studies and analysis. As a key member of our engineering team, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of electrical power systems. You will be responsible for conducting comprehensive grounding studies and analysis to optimize system performance and mitigate potential risks. Your work will contribute to the overall reliability, stability, and safety of our power infrastructure.
- Conduct Grounding Studies: Perform detailed analysis and modeling of electrical grounding systems to assess the effectiveness and compliance with industry standards. Evaluate ground resistance, fault currents, step and touch potentials, and other relevant parameters to identify potential risks and develop effective mitigation strategies.
- System Design and Analysis: Collaborate with the design team to develop grounding solutions for new electrical power systems. Perform engineering calculations, simulations, and studies to determine optimal grounding configurations. Analyze the impact of system modifications, expansions, and upgrades on grounding performance and recommend appropriate measures.
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation: Identify potential hazards related to grounding and propose practical solutions to minimize risks. Evaluate the impact of electromagnetic interference (EMI), lightning strikes, and other external factors on grounding systems. Develop and implement measures to ensure personnel safety, equipment protection, and regulatory compliance.
- Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis: Investigate and resolve grounding-related issues and failures in existing systems. Utilize advanced diagnostic techniques, measurements, and testing to identify the root causes of problems. Recommend corrective actions and work closely with maintenance and operations teams to implement effective solutions.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare comprehensive reports, technical documentation, and presentations summarizing grounding studies, analysis results, and recommendations. Maintain accurate records of system modifications, maintenance activities, and grounding-related incidents. Communicate findings to stakeholders and provide technical guidance to project teams as needed.
- Industry Standards and Compliance: Stay updated with the latest industry standards, codes, and regulations pertaining to grounding systems. Ensure that all designs and modifications adhere to applicable guidelines and safety requirements. Participate in code compliance reviews and support the development of internal standards and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Solid understanding of power systems, electrical distribution, and grounding principles.
- Proven experience in conducting grounding studies and analysis for industrial or commercial power systems.
- Proficiency in using industry-standard software tools for power system analysis, such as ETAP, PSS/E, or similar.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret complex data to make informed decisions.
- Familiarity with relevant codes and standards, such as IEEE, NFPA, IEC, or local regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of electrical safety practices and procedures, including personal protective equipment (PPE) and lockout/tagout (LOTO).
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license or eligibility for obtaining one is desirable.
- Prior experience in the energy, utilities, or manufacturing sectors is a plus.