Network Engineer L3
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with executive management and department leaders to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, switches, UPSs, telephony solutions and other hardware.
- Design, implement, and support firewalls, site-to-site VPNs, and remote-access VPNs Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Configure networks to ensure secure, smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Ensure network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
- Participate in managing all network security solutions.
- Perform server and security audits, and system backups and recovery.
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related field OR 5+ years' work experience.
- CCNP or higher (CCIE and/or CISSP highly valued)
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, and WLAN design and implementation.
- Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- Expert knowledge of core routing and switching design principles, best practices, and related technologies.
- Experience in implementing and managing voice over IP (VoIP) systems desired.
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards, including routers, switches (layer 2/3), firewalls, remote access, DNS, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, VLAN, QoS, DSL, Frame Relay, and Metro Ethernet.
- Five plus (5+) years' experience designing, implementing, managing and supporting enterprise level IP networks that include support of a heterogeneous distributed desktop computing environment required.
- Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.