This position leads a R&D team responsible for the development of a pipeline of new product innovation for Household, Home Improvement, and Automotive brands. This leader will be responsible for developing, directing, and implementing successful research and development, as well as related technical support for product introduction with a goal of achieving powerful brands and profitable sales growth.
Work is performed under the direction of the Vice President of R&D and in collaboration with Marketing, Sales, and Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs research and development efforts that result in innovative new products with competitive product quality and acceptable manufacturing costs; ensures that appropriate technical knowledge is developed and applied to meet present and future innovation pipeline needs
- Maintains and manages the project list and corresponding budget to support research and development activities; helps define project criteria; ensures projects are completed on time and within budget and that technical objectives are achieved; develops and maintains the new product innovation portion of the annual R&D budget and tracks expenses.
- Responsible for the development of products and formulations to meet consumer, regulatory, brand and manufacturing requirements; directs the development of test protocols for new products, raw materials, laboratory batches, product claims support/validation, competitive products, etc.
- Contributes to the development of new product marketing and sales strategies and programs; Supports the Sales function in new product sell-in by attending and presenting in key retailer meetings or product line reviews.
- Participates in the development of manufacturing processes based on product integrity requirements and comparative methods.
- Identifies and pursues innovation opportunities for on-going replenishment of innovation pipeline in support of short and long-term business growth expectations.
- Leads and sets direction for the R&D Product Design staff Supports, recruits, trains, develops, coaches, mentors, manages, and recognizes exceptional talent; acts as advocate for training by ensuring proficiency in technical skills and techniques and continuous improvement in processes and procedures; ensures technical team have the tools and programs needed to meet/exceed company expectations.
- Assists with legal support through case preparation and providing testimony at deposition and trial.
- Responds to customer and consumer questions and issues as needed.
- Performs other duties and special projects as directed.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, or related field and a minimum of ten (10) years progressively responsible experience in the direction of R & D activities, five (5) years of which must have been managing technical teams in research and development activities for the design and commercialization of products; Master’s or Doctorate degree a plus; a majority of this experience being in CPG Product Innovation is required.
Must have a demonstrated ability to translate research into profitable consumer products; must be able to lead people and get results through others; excellent organization and follow- up skills; ability to manage complex multidisciplinary projects as well as the ability to act independently and take the initiative; excellent project management skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent presentation skills; excellent problem-solving and decision making skills, ability to organize and prioritize work assignments; ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment; ability to analyze situations and respond in a timely manner; ability to participate in multi-functional teams and interact at all levels of management; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the organization; ability to manage the work of a team of technical employees; ability to establish and implement new processes; must be proficient in computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, charts and graphics; should have working knowledge of regulations as they relate to the products being developed.