Safety Coordinatior/ Supervisor- Direct Hire
Under the direction of the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Manager, this position will provide support and guidance for all aspects of the EHS program in a manufacturing setting. The Environmental, Health, and Safety team is tasked with ensuring compliance with OSHA and EPA standards and Corporate EHS policies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Other duties may be assigned, in addition to those identified below.
- Recognizes, evaluates, and makes recommendations for the control of potential workplace hazards in the areas of industrial hygiene and industrial safety.
- Works in a team environment and guides members of maintenance, engineering, production, purchasing and shipping departments.
- Investigates employee Health and Safety complaints, discusses findings, and recommends possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Assists EHS Manager with managing environmental programs (hazardous waste program, storm water program, wastewater monitoring, air quality reporting, acting as a liaison with local regulatory agencies, ensuring submission of applicable monthly, periodic and annual environmental reports, working with Corporate EHS personnel on a frequent basis).
- Classifies injury/illness events utilizing OSHA protocols for record keeping. Analyzes loss experience for corrective action.
- Responsible for Environmental, Health & Safety policies. Ensures that Environmental, Health and Safety policies and procedures are current, distributed appropriately and that document control is maintained.
- Coordinates respirator fit testing to ensure regulatory compliance utilizing quantitative or qualitative methods.
- Conducts industrial hygiene sampling for a variety of physical and chemical hazards. As necessary, contract specialized industrial hygiene work to a qualified third party. Prepare and file corresponding documentation for easy retrieval and demonstration of monitoring compliance.
- When necessary, provides applicable EHS training to new hires and other EHS training for specific programs to employees such as respiratory protection, hearing protection, machine guarding; forklift certification; and spill response.
- Train and support personnel on safety projects and resources.
- Drive and manage company Job Safety Analysis (JSA) program.
- Support Safety Suggestion Program.
- Emergency First Responder Team member.
- Assist with plant Health and Safety Committee. Plans and facilitates the conduct of plant safety inspections with other Committee members. Maintains master file of H&S minutes, meeting dates.
- Maintains master file of H&S minutes, meeting dates.
- Drives incident investigation process. Helps to identify root causes of incidents for prevention of similar events in the future.
- Manages open safety item tracking list.
- Assists with management of periodic fire extinguisher, first aid, and CPR training for plant population.
- A bachelor's degree in environmental science, safety, or health-related field.
- A minimum of three years of environmental, health, and safety experience, preferably in a manufacturing setting.
- Extensive knowledge of and applicable experience regarding Environmental Protection Agency regulations.
- Sound knowledge of OSHA and environmental regulations required. Knowledge of Workers' Compensation, FMLA and HIPAA regulations an asset.
- A strong customer-service orientation is essential.
- Able to communicate both verbally and in writing, demonstrating proficiency with vocabulary, grammar and punctuation; experience in speaking before groups to explain or demonstrate.
- Proficiency in utilization of MS Office software including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Able to reason and display sound judgment and to prioritize work and work in stressful situations.